Friday 27 July 2012

Little Girls Cot Quilt

 A friend asked me to make a second cot quilt for her grand daughter in little girl pinks.  I decided to use the disappearing 9 square pattern so I collected 9 different fabrics and cut them into 6" squares.  The size I used was 2 squares across and 3 down, therefore using 54 6" squares.
 Making sure that I had the dark pink fabric as the center square, I joined 9 squares together. I tried to make sure I had the same pattern of squares throughout.
 Once I had sewn the squares together I cut through the center of the middle of the nine squares twice, leaving me with a dark pink small square, two oblongs and a large square.  I then rearranged the pieces together so the dark pink squares were on an angle to each other and re-constructed the squares
 These are all the squares rearranged ensuring that they follow a pattern.  I placed the backing, wadding and the front of the quilt onto a table and pined them together.  This is the hardest part as the backing material tends to ride up and can get caught.
Here is the finished article.  I sewed a little butterfly in the corner and sewed around the squares in sequence.  I attached the border to the back by machining it and then stitched the border to the front by hand.  Very laborous work but worth every minute.  I love the finished quilt and it was received well.  My friend loved it.  The next one is for my grandson, for a single bed and will be in red, black and gold colours

3 comments:

  1. It's lovely :) Bet Jack can't wait for his to be made now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No he's so looking forward to it. I'll get it started soon x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen this pattern done with just 3 fabrics and it looks really effective, four corner squares one fabric, centre square one fabric and the other four squares the third fabric.If you did the centre square as the black you wouldn't need much for Jack's quilt, and it would get distributed once it was cut so wouldn't be too dark looking.

    ReplyDelete