Sunday 20 May 2012

Tomato Experiment

I once read that, to keep costs down, when growing tomatoes, use the seeds from your home grown toms.  So I thought I'd give it a go.  The seeds are difficult to harvest.

I dug out the seeds from my toms and spread them as they were over a piece of kitchen roll and allowed them to dry out a little before I rolled them up and marked them as tomato seeds.  I popped them into my seed box and left them until this spring. 

I filled a tray with compost and placed the unrolled paper over the compost before covering it with more compost.  I watered it well and covered it with a propagator lid to, I hope, germinate.  It only took a few days of watering for the seeds to germinate and I now have a tray full of strong healthy seedlings waiting to be pricked out.  The paper isn't a problem as it composts down in the process. 

Fingers crossed that I have a batch of strong tomato plants ready to yield me a bumper crop this year.  I am now wondering if there are any other fruit and veggies I can use this method on.

I am interested to know if anyone else is growing plants experimentally............

No comments:

Post a Comment