Sunday 13 May 2012

More Sowing and Taking Cuttings

This is the second day of gorgeous get in the garden weather.  I have taken the opportunity to spend some quality time in the garden.  Yesterday I set up the raised beds and built the cold frame (B & Q).  The cold frame has been languishing in the shed for over two years because it is a flimsy thing and kept blowing away.  I have now found it a new home behind the greenhouse which offers it some shelter from the gusty winds we have here.  

I have christened one of my raised beds by sowing spring onions, radish, broccoli and mange tout directly into it, covering the seeds well, hoping the wind won't blow them away.  They have a good coating of well water compost over them. Also, down in the garden I sowed carrots and swede so fingers crossed for me please.

I have a lovely couple living next door to me who are trying to establish their garden and as I have quite a few bushes in my garden I spent some time taking cuttings and potting them on.  I love this way of gardening and geraniums are the easiest of plants to cultivate in this way.  I used to use rooting powder but now I place them straight into good compost and water well, or place the ends in water and watch this space.  

Hope you have all had a good garden day today


No comments:

Post a Comment