Saturday 26 May 2012

Last couple of days

I have had a busy couple of days, both in the garden and out.
I have recently been finished from work due to my ill health and I was treated to dinner, at a Toby Carvery, with my friends from work.  It is very easy to eat at the carvery because I choose what I can eat without worrying about hidden gluten.  I even had a desert, Eaton mess, which is a real treat for me.
My friends presented me with a voucher for B & Q and another for M & S, so I spent yesterday trying to decide what to buy for my garden.  I thought about a piece of decoration, which is nice, but in the end went for something which would be more useful, two blueberry bushes and more strawberry plants.  I aim to also replace my rhubarb plants which have been eaten by a grub.

Other things I have been doing include planting out paty pan squashes and green beans in one of the raised beds.  I have made wigwams, with string around, for the beans to grow up.  I planted the new strawberry plants in a new planter but I will need to keep an eye open for the slugs and snails.  They get where water wouldn't.

Today I am making a makeshift tomato grow house for the tomatoes I grew in my experiment.  I have a set of shelving which I don't use and I have placed them within a large poly raised bed which my OH bought me for Christmas.  I am using bubble wrap around the outside of the shelving, held together with duck tape, with a pull down door.  The bubble wrap is left over from when I insulated the greenhouse, something I will not be doing this year.  It's too much trouble for too little reward..

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget the blueberries like ericaceous compost best :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dreamer. The gardeners have planted them in the garden so hopefully they should thrive there. x x x

    ReplyDelete