Saturday 17 March 2012

Gluten Free Baking

Gluten Free Treats

I have several cake recipes which are made with standard self raising flour and I have been able to adjust them to suit my gluten free needs.  However, today I thought I'd try something different so I gave these peanut butter cookies a go.



They look delicious and I can't wait to try them.

 Peanut Butter Cookies

Ingredients
Serves: 15
·         500g peanut butter
·         300g caster sugar
·         4 eggs, beaten
·         300g chocolate chips (optional)
·         180g chopped pecans (optional)
Preparation method
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 12 mins | Extra time: 8 mins
1. Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4. Line a baking tray with parchment.
2. Combine peanut butter, eggs and sugar and mix until smooth. Mix in chocolate chips and nuts, if desired. Spoon mixture by tablespoons onto tray.
3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Let the cookies cool on the tray for 5 to 10 minutes before removing.

I reduced the amount down as they are treats and I don't want to be eating them for weeks, plus I wasn't sure if they would freeze.

I was also in the same situation with scones, one of my many vices, especially with cream.  I can no longer eat cream as I am lactose intolerance but I can have jam.  

Again I looked for a scone recipe and found this one on the Coeliac UK website.

I can't wait to try these either



Gluten Free Scones

Each scone 210 calories/880 kJ, 1g fibre

Makes 8

225 g (8 oz) self raising gluten free flour
½ tsp salt
1 tsp gluten free baking powder
60 g (2 oz) margarine
60 g (2 oz) granulated sugar
60 g (2 oz) mixed dried fruit (optional)
Approximately 140 mls (5 fl oz) milk

Heat the oven to 200C/400o F/gas 6

Grease a baking sheet.

Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl. 

Add the margarine cut into pieces and rub in until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.

Add the sugar and fruit if used and mix to a soft dough with the milk.

Roll out on a board dusted with gluten free flour to about  1 cm /½ inch thick and cut into rounds with a plain cutter.

Place on baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes until well risen and browned. 

Cool on a wire tray.

No comments:

Post a Comment