Tuesday 19 June 2012

A Quilting Fest

I am having a great time with Dreamer, eating totally GF, little walks with our fury friend, Jake, and learning new skills....Quilting.  I have 4 to make, two quilts for my youngest 2 granddaughters, a football orientated pillow for my grandson and a pillow of some sort for my eldest granddaughter.

QUILT ONE - LAURA'S

 I bought this tea towel pannel which cost me a pound.  It has farm animals, in an abstract form, which should appeal to Laura. 















 I rummaged through Dreamers material stache and picked colours which were on the tea towel, red, blue, green and white.  Another new skill learned, cut 3" lengths, sew them together, lengthwise, then cut strips 3" wide widthwise.  Hey presto....3" squares all sewn together.  Clever or what.



 This what it looks like once the square lengths are added to form a border.  I added wadding to the back, 2" bigger than the quilt and added a contrasting blue backing.  I sewed around the outside of the squares with the animals in and then on the inner squares. 








 This is the finished article.  All I had to do was to turn over the wadding and backing together to form a border and sew it.  Quilt NO 1 finished.  What a lovely experience and I am humbled to think that I have produced it.  I know that Laura will love it.











QUILT 2 - SOPHIE'S



 This is Sophie's quilt which has been created using a piece of fabric with pictures of fishes, flags and a ships wheel.  
















 I added a border of contrasting colours, red, blue and lemon/orange.  I backed the quilt with white with pink polkadots and quilted around the fishes and wavy border.  I then quilted around the inside of the border.











 You can see the results of the quilting on the back with the 3 fishes shown within the square.  It gives a great affect.  That's NO 2 quilt completed.  I have 2 pillowcases to complete now.




No comments:

Post a Comment