Tuesday 12 June 2012

I Love My Garden

In April I was finished from my job due to incapacity.  I have a gambit full of long standing long term illnesses but it was the gluten sensitivity which was the last straw.  My body can't cope with anything anymore, besides the usual toilet and nausea issues associated with NCGS (non coeliac gluten sensitivity) I have poor energy and mobility issues.  I tire so quickly, such as going upstairs and putting my coat on.  Showering and getting into the bath are a mammoth effort as is standing to cook a meal.  So with these issues, my heart condition, fibromyalgia, under active thyroid and asthma, it is no wonder I also suffer from depression.

I can no longer mow my lawns or do any of the heavy work within the garden.  Luckily I have a gardener who is very reasonable and a real gem.  He and his brother attack the weeds, cut the hedges etc.  Thank goodness.  Being off work has made my depression worse, so I started growing my own veg the year before last, (not last year as I was so poorly) and this year I started not only the veg but fruit also.  I am growing potatoes, gherkins, cucumbers, tomatoes, patti pan squashes, peas, mange tout, broad beans, runner beans, wax beans, carrots, turnips, onions and garlic, all in containers or raised beds and gooseberries, strawberries, blueberries and raspberries again in containers and raised beds.  My hubby bought me a greenhouse last Christmas so I am really utilising it.

So now you know why I love my garden and having fresh fruit and veg to pick from the garden is helping me to manage my gluten problem.  

Take care folks....


3 comments:

  1. I agree, gardening is good for the mind , body and soul, and edible gardening is even better :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy fruit and veg growing better than flower growing as you can see your dinner developing before your very eyes LOL x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gardening can really be a rewarding hobby, and vegetable and fruit gardening are even better as they literally give you fruits of your labor. Well, you can also accompany a little of landscaping to add to the everyday excitement. You can leave the hard work to someone else, and you can make the concept and design of how you want your garden to look like.

    ReplyDelete