Saturday 30 June 2012

Blackwork

 I have a joy of craft work and this is something I did a few years ago.  Called blackwork, pictures are built up with any coloured silk, with a different stitch to represent different areas.  The stitches offer dimension making a 2d effect.
Blackwork is worked on aida, any count, using one strand of cross stitch silk.  Different colours can be used, such as red, or even worked into the same picture









Here is a blow up to give you some idea of the type of stitches used.  It is very satisfying and not as hard on the eyes as cross stitch
































2 comments:

  1. I may have a go at this in the future but for now I am starting another lot of the crazy patchwork this time in reds and golds/creams :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely colours and so not you. You like ordered things not crazy stuff but if it is anything like the other one it will be beautiful. I am thinking of doing the odd cushion cover the same they look so lovely. The blackwork is a lovely project and I think, after the quilts, that I am going to do some projects with it.

    ReplyDelete