Saturday 14 January 2012

What I aim to grow this year

As I am new at this greenhouse thing I am not going to go over mad at what I am going to grow. It is so easy to fill every container with seeds and hope for a good crop but I have decided (so far) to grow what we eat on a regular basis.

Tomatoes are a favourite and we eat loads, and I have had a good result with growing them before, so toms are a must.

I have never grown cucumbers before but I am going to give them a go. I make bread and butter pickles a few times throughout the year, so they will come in handy.

To go with the cucumbers I am having a go at growing peppers. We use them in salads and chillis as well as in the pickles. I love raw peppers.

And of course onions, what is a garden without onions. I have a raised bed, a rockery really, in which I am going to plant white and red onions as well as garlic. There may be room for some carrots as well and I'm sure they won't mind sharing it with the odd flower here and there.

I am going to grow peas, sugar snaps and beans as they are easy to grow and they are a good food staple. And we mustn't forget the ubiquitous potatoes. There's nothing nicer than lifting a few potatoes from your own garden for tea.

They are my staples and I think I may also have a go at pattie pan squashes, ghurkins and strawberries. I may also invest in a couple of fruit trees/bushes. I would love a small apple tree.

Watch this space

No comments:

Post a Comment