Tuesday 24 September 2013

Chutneys, Pickles and Quilting....

The harvest is here and I love preserving my left over veg.  I had loads of green tomatoes and an over abundance of cucumbers.

The tomatoes were turned into lovely green tomato chutney


I added sugar, red wine vinegar, spices, onions, sultanas, ginger and home grown red chillies to offer a little warmth.  I managed to produce 4 jars which will last us through the winter and into the spring



I planted my very first cucumber plants this year and they were so productive and easy to grow, that I wondered why I have never grown them before

After having plenty for salads and for sharing with friends and family I decided to pickle them along with onions, sugar and white vinegar with spices.  This the first time I have pickled them but next time I think I will make a chutney with them.


I am making quillows and teddy bears for my grand children and friends for Christmas, so I have been inundated with projects.  I have concentrated on the teddy bears and have used 2 different patterns.


This is the first pattern I used with the arms and legs separate. I have attached the arms and legs using plastic safety hinges and boot studs for the eyes and nose.  This is for a friends daughter and I shall be doing a quillow to go with it.




This is the other type of bear.  The arms are sewn on and the legs are attached when putting the body together, so no need for hinges.  This bear is able to be posed sitting with its legs hanging over.  




So I have more bears than a teddy bears picnic but I know that each one will find a loving caring home with a little girl (or woman) who will love them forever.

If anyone would like the pattern for the second bear I will post it.

What crafty ideas are you all getting up to or home making Christmas presents

Take care

2 comments: