Friday 2 November 2012

Red Onion Chutney


 

 I have decided to make a selection of Red Onion Chutney, Pear Chutney and Brandy Marmalade as Christmas presents for friends and family.  As I wanted a small jar for each of the preserves I decided to purchase ASDA Smart Price Mint Sauce as they were only 24p a jar, rather than spending a lot of money on jars.  

I re-heated the mint sauce to boiling and re-bottled the sauce in steralised jars to be used later.  My son and daughter in law will have a large jar as they use quite a bit of it.


Here is the recipe I used

2kg Red Onions
I cooking apple grated
375 mls red wine vinegar
375 g sugar
3 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar
100 g sultanas
2 teaspoons of mixed or all spice
Salt & Pepper
Olive oil about 3 tablespoons for frying



I (or rather the OH) chopped up the red onions and fried them in the olive oil for about 1 hour.  I added all the other ingredients and brought it to the boil and reduced it to a simmer for a further 1 hour or until the liquid has reduced and the mixture has thickened.








When the the chutney is ready I bottled it and I managed to get 7 jars of chutney.  When they have cooled I will label them and they'll go away until Christmas.  Lovely with cheeses, cold cuts or even added to gravy.  I am rather pleased with myself as this is my first attempt and I know it tastes lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment