Wednesday 15 August 2012

End of Season Sale..

 My son introduced me to a new garden center last week where I managed to purchase a lovely healthy apple tree for £10 reduced from £34.99.  The tree is a James Grieve variety, but the fruit is no longer sold in the shops.  It is a dwarf variety of apple tree which now stands quite happily in the corner of my back garden.

 
 On Tuesday I made a return journey to see if they had any fruit bushes for sale, particularly blackcurrant and gooseberry.  I have one of each of these in my back garden but I had read that to ensure a bigger and better crop it was best to have more than one bush.  I came across this lovely blackcurrant bush which has a good few years of growth on it and it was a snip at £4.99 reduced from £9.99.  It is twice the size of the one bush I already had.

I haven't had much luck with gooseberry bushes.  I bought 2 earlier in the year but they lost all their foliage and are now brown sticks.  I have them in pots but I am going to plant them in the garden to see if they take off next year.  I bought a third bush 3 months ago which is rather tiny and although it has it's foliage it produced no fruit.  So I decided to buy another bush.  This one has plenty of growth on it and with any luck I should get fruit from it next year.  It is about 4 times bigger than my others so fingers crossed.  Again another great bargain at £4.99 reduced from £9.99.  In fact it is cheaper that all the 3 others I bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment